Keep yourself and your co-works safe from COVID-19
Over the years, one of the common questions we have been asked is “How do you recommend cleaning a touchscreen?” There are wipes specially designed for cleaning touchscreen surfaces; also, eyeglass cleaner and soft microfiber towels can be used as well.
The spread of the novel coronavirus COVID-19 has altered this question slightly to “How do you recommend disinfecting a touchscreen?” This is a different answer as cleaners designed to remove oil, dust, and other contaminants from a surface will not necessarily neutralize germs. Our best recommendation is to first check with the display manufacturer for their procedure. If one is not available, below is our recommended procedure for disinfecting Panel PCs and Displays.
- To prepare for cleaning the device, make sure it is not running and not connected to power in any way.
- We recommend using an industrial grade paper towel, that is stable when wet and does not leave lint.
- We recommend using Isopropyl Alcohol 70% for disinfection. Avoid highly concentrated alcohol (greater than 70% concentration), non-diluted bleach or ammonia solutions, as these may cause discoloration.
- Use a spray bottle that can apply a mist of disinfection solution in a fine layer.
- Wear one way silicone gloves and face mask when disinfecting the devices to avoid any cross contamination. Do not forget to always wash your hands with water and soap before and after wearing gloves.
Cleaning and Disinfecting
- Mist the device from all sides and wipe the alcohol solution off with the paper towel, especially in the edges and corners.
- Do not get liquids inside the unit or spray the product directly. Do not re-use the paper towel for the next devices to avoid cross contamination.
- Let the device stand for half an hour to let the alcohol residue evaporate before using the device again.
- Discard the face mask, towels used and gloves appropriately as medical waste.
We truly hope these recommendations help and we hope you and your team members stay safe during these times.